Sunday, January 30, 2011
Shanghaid To Starbucks
Starbucks #3 is the fancy-ass one in the Xintiandi section of Shanghai. This is a fantastic store. Two floors. Beautiful interior. And in a really cool, if not touristy, part of the city.
Here's my ideal (and expensive) day at the Xintiandi:
1. Get a drink from the Xintiandi Starbucks
2. Look longingly at where the Paul bakery used to be. They had the best chocolate croissants outside of Paris.
3. Scoff at the Xintiandi Coffee Bean and Tea
4. Buy an overpriced shirt at Shanghai Tang
5. Eat lunch at Din Tai Fung
6. Look at the Cold Stone Creamery.
7. Turn to my wife and say, "They have a Cold Stone Creamery?"
8. Eat ice cream at the fanciest Haagen-Dazs you've ever laid eyes on.
9. Tell a total stranger Haagen-Dazs is in the Bronx and that I have a friend who developed Macadamia Nut Brittle.
10. Visit the Museum of the First National Congress of the Chinese Communist Party
11. Toast Mao with a Starbucks Green Tea Frappuccino